2013年9月11日星期三

Jim Furyk Needs to Keep on Playing

Jim Furyk hopes to play himself back into form ahead of the Open rather than return to the drawing board in practice.

The American appears at the Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Connecticut this week eager to continue playing competitively during a spell in which he would ordinarily combine fine-tuning with time off ahead of a major.

Furyk missed the cut at the US Open last week and ahead of the Open at Royal St George's in less than a month's time, he believes playing is key to recovering his game.

Playing three weeks running rather than having this week off, the 41-year-old, who has managed just two top-10 finishes this year, said: “I have played well here at times.

“When we are not playing well, you have to keep playing. You can't go home and practice and get better. You need tournament conditions. I feel this is the best event for my game and the best event already not in my schedule.”

Currently 19th in the world rankings following last week's difficulties at Congressional, Furyk conceded: “The strength of my game is 100 yards in.

“I haven't putted well this year, that's no secret, but to just blame it on my putting would be chickening out a little bit.

“I don't feel like I did anything all that wrong last week at the US Open. I don't feel by any means I should have missed the cut, but I'm not scoring well enough.”

Another man keen for playing time is Geoff Ogilvy as he continues his comeback from a shoulder problem suffered before the Masters.

He still managed a tie for fourth at Augusta but has struggled due to the problem since then.

“There were tournaments I have missed that I really like,” Ogilvy told the Middletown Press. “Ultimately, it is frustrating really, just watching these golf tournaments on TV.

“Normally I play a lot through the US Open but I've hardly played, so I'm desperate to play.”

Other crowd draws in the field in the US dollars 6million event at River Highlands include Europeans Padraig Harrington and Ian Poulter. Bubba Watson is defending champion.

Another South Korean, Amy Yang, was a shot behind the leading pair in third while Dover-born Karen Stupples' level-par round of 72 left her a further shot back in a tie for fourth with a round to play. She was joined at five under overall by Sweden's Maria Hjorth and Norwegian Suzann Pettersen.

Seo Hee-kyung shot a best-of-the-day 65, moving the Korean up into a share of seventh with four other players including Germany's Sandra Gal, the leader after two rounds.

没有评论:

发表评论